Tuesday, August 4, 2015

First steps in family history

I was born Diane Lois Otte on November 4, 1952, in the small town of Enumclaw, King County, Washington. I am the second of seven children of David Grant Otte. I am not going to spend a lot of time in this blog on my mother, siblings, children, or grandchildren since they are all living and creating their own legacies.

Shirley Jean Vetter (now Bliss)

Daryl Butcher Gordon (was Daryl Gordon Butcher)

The first step today in researching your family history is to create an account at www.familysearch.org. This is an absolutely free site available to anyone. Along with family histories that have been stored there over the years, there are over 1.3 billion records that have been extracted and placed into a database for easy searching. https://familysearch.org/indexing/. Every day, new names are added to the database. I have found many of my records there. Other sites are available as well, and I will show you some of these as we get started.

For now, go to https://familysearch.org/register/ and create an account. Then, set up your family tree with the information that you currently know. Most people know their father's and mother's names; most people can guess the birth year of their parents. For example, I was born in 1952. My father had a daughter from a previous marriage who is 10 years older than me, so I would guess that my father was 35 when I was born. That would make him born in 1917 -- which is exactly right! I know that my father had a brother 14 years older than him, so I would estimate his father was 40 when my dad was born, or about 1877. This turns out to be a good estimate.

Tomorrow, we will look at my father and the information I found about him from the US Census.

No comments:

Post a Comment