Monday, August 3, 2015

In the beginning...

I started my journey with genealogy when I was 15 years old. I was able to earn a "badge" for completing my four-generation chart, and asked my parents what they knew. My father knew almost nothing about his family; my mother found two family group sheets that has been completed by her parents some time after my family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in March of 1958, and before my grandfather died in December of 1960.

In the 45+ years since this humble beginning, I have researched my family back to the 16th century, and farther back in a few cases. My story isn't unique -- I never had any rich or famous ancestors, and no immediate family members helping me in my work.

Today, I am a Family History Library Director, who helps people every week to find their own ancestors. Why is this so important to me, or you, or anyone? A recent article in the Ensign noted that oral history fades after just three generations: http://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/magazines/ensign-august-2015/2015-08-00-ensign-eng.pdf. An article in the New York Times explains that knowing our history makes our families stronger: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/fashion/the-family-stories-that-bind-us-this-life.html?_r=0

What is the difference between genealogy and family history? Genealogy is "just the facts"; the names, dates, and places for our ancestors. Family history includes stories -- things we have learned or heard from our ancestors.

My goal for this blog is to publish my family history, a bit at a time. While doing this, I will also explain the many resources available today for ANYONE to find their own family history.

I dedicate this blog to my grandchildren: Tyler, Avery, Harper, Emery, and Luke, and hope they find joy and happiness in learning of the awesome genetic legacy that has come together to make each of them unique.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! Certainly destined to become a family treasure!

    ReplyDelete